There are situations when you are willing to boot your Mac computer with a different startup disk. But for the M1 Mac computer, you have to perform a different procedure. So here, I’ve decided to provide a guide about How To Change Startup Disk on M1 Mac. You can get help select a startup device i.e; DVD, USB, external disk, etc.
How Can I Change Startup Disk on M1 Mac?
There can be two situations where you would like to Change Startup Disk on M1 Mac. One situation is when you would want it to change for one session and another is when you would like to change it permanently. So I’ll provide assistance for both of these situations. You can select any method you find appropriate.
1. Change it for one-time
- Shut down your M1 Mac computer.
- Turn it on and keep pressing the power button until you start seeing the startup options.
- After scanning the attached startup disks, your Mac will provide a list of disks.
- Select one disk and hit the Continue button.
- Let it restart and boot with the selected startup disk.
2. Change it permanently
- With your M1 Mac turned-on, click on the Apple icon and select System Preferences
- Select Startup Disk
- Unlock the Preference pane by clicking on the lock button.
- After selecting the desired disk, hit Restart
- Now, wait to see the magic.
Note: After implementing the permanent solution, your Mac will startup with the select disk every time. So if you want to select a different device in the future, you can implement the same above-provided method.
Try not to select a network volume image, unless you are willing to format your drives. So if you just want to reset settings or perform a recovery, then selecting Network Startup Volume benefits you. To be sure, you need to select a drive that has a globe-alike icon with it.
That’s all, iOSFY appreciates your opinions on the published articles.